Saturday, August 8, 2026

Outlaw Encounter

 by Kari E.

Andi ran into the barn. “Taffy, here girl. You want to go for a ride? I’ll go get your saddle.” What was that? The latch is lifting. It’s probably Chad. “Chad! Me and Taffy are going for a ride. Chad?”

It’s not Chad. Who could it be? Andi sucked in a breath. Andi had the most terrible thought. What if someone came to steal their horses, What if they kidnap me! I have to hide, thought Andi. But where could she hide? It was too late. The person came into the barn. “Well, well, well. What do we have here?” said a scruffy voice. Andi could see who it was. But it was not anyone who she knew. Andi started to shake. “Are you Andrea Carter from the Circle Ranch?” How does he know my name, thought Andi. “Speak up.” What should I say? “Yes.” “Good, you’re coming with me.” “Why?” “Don’t ask that.” “No!” “Yes. Get a horse.” Andi grabbed Taffy’s halter and follow the man silently. “Get up.” Andi obeyed. “We’re going to be on the trail for awhile…” 2 Days Later… “Where are we going anyway?” Andi asked. “Texas,” he said. “What should I call you? Since I’ll be here awhile,” asked Andi. “Jedson,” was his answer. “Who is that?” Andi asked. “Who is who?” “I see riders coming our way.” “Quick hide now!” Jedson said, “it’s the sheriff.” Andi pretended to be hiding but she knew Chad could see her. As Chad came closer Chad saw her and pounded toward her. Andi could not hold her excitement. She ran toward Chad, but it was a mistake… 2 Days Later… Andi woke up. “She’s awake Mother,” a sweet soft voice said. “Andrea! I’m so glad you awake!” “Mother?” “Yes.” “What happened?” “The out law shot and it missed you, but you were so surprised you fainted and fell off Taffy.” “Where is Taffy?” “Out in the barn.” One Day Later… “Would you like to come for dinner Andi?” asked Melinda. “Not really, but if Mother would like me to come, I’ll try.” “Good,” said Melinda. “Tomorrow you are going to school.” “Yes, Mother.” Tomorrow, thought Andi, I’ll sneak into the school unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Encourage these young authors!

Andi's Barn Mystery

 by Nora H.  The latch rattled and began to rise. Andi frantically looked around for a place to hide. She was in the tool shed in the barn, ...