by Christine
The sun was nowhere to be seen when Andi Carter woke that morning. She hurriedly dressed in a split skirt and blue checked shirt. “The first days of school are always the worst!” She complained as she headed out her bedroom door and quietly crept down the stairs to the sitting room. When she realized no one was there she decided to head out to check on her horse, Taffy. When she got to the barn she immediately started on Taffy’s stall. “I sure wish Mother would let me ride you to school. It would be so much better than having Justin drive me to and fro, right Taffy?” Then she quickly got to work cleaning out the horse’s stalls, adding fresh hay, checking water, and dividing out grain. When she left the barn to go back to the house the sun was brightly shining. I better hurry if I plan to have anyone happy with me this morning, especially Chad, she thought as she hurried to the door and quietly opened it.
“Andi!” Melinda called happily as she passed the door. “Come on and help me set the table.” Andi was relieved to be doing something. Maybe then no one would notice that she had not been there when everyone else had awoken. “I was wondering where you were,” Melinda said as she sat down the spoons around the table, then she handed the forks to Andi.
“I was just checking on Taffy like any other day,”
Melinda nodded. “I thought as much. Hurry up and then we can go help with the food.” They hurried off to the kitchen to check on Luisa. After a delicious breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast, Andi hopped into the buggy with Justin, he clucked to Pal and they headed into town.
“Justin, are you sure I have to go to school?”
“Your mother wants you to have an education, Andi, and she will stop at nothing for you to get it.” Justin answered.
“I guess you're right Justin, I'll just have to try to make it through today. Surely it'll get better after the first day.”
“Of course it will,” Justin replied confidently. “Now you can just come over to the office after school and I'll take you home.”
“Thanks, Justin!”
“You're welcome.” He said as they pulled up to the school house, Andi stepped out of the buggy and waved to Justin.
Andi walked up to the school steps and sitting on them was a tall girl with blonde hair. She was wearing a long maroon dress and a straw sun bonnet. Andi had never seen her before. “Hello,” Andi said. My name is Andrea, but you can call me Andi.
“Hello, Andi,” she said. “My name is Mary Warren and I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”
“Nice to meet you as well, Mary,” Andi replied. “Where'd you come from? I have never seen you before.”
“My family moved here from Colorado. My father said he wanted a change. He's lived in Colorado his whole life so we moved here,” Mary answered.
“Oh. Well I hope you enjoy living in California, Mary,” Andi replied. “ Thanks,’’ Mary said.
Then the bell rang and a herd of kids raced into the school house and found seats. Andi saw that Mary was sitting alone so she hurried over. “Want a seat partner?” Andi asked.
“Yes of course!” Mary smiled and slid over to the back of the seat to let Andi in.
The first day was going perfectly up till the first recess, but when Andi returned her seat with Mary she saw a note on her desk. Andi smiled and thought, Cory’s always got to welcome me back unlike anyone else. A note instead of talking.
When she read the note though, she knew it was not Cory. The note was unsigned and Andi couldn't figure out what it meant. The rest of the day she pondered the note until school let out.
Andi said a hurried ‘goodbye’ to Mary before racing toward Justin’s office. Justin was coming out as Andi was going in and they crashed into each other.
“Slow down, little sister,” Justin laughed. “I was just coming to get you.”
“Justin,” Andi said breathlessly. “Someone put this note on my desk, what does it mean?” She handed Justin the note.
Justin’s eyes went wide when he read the note. “Read it aloud Justin, maybe I need to hear it a different way,” Andi said.
“Miss Andrea Carter, your brothers are the wealthiest ranchers around, either bring money to the train station or you will never see your golden friend again.” Justin read.
“My golden friend? Who could that be?” Andi wondered aloud. “Wait, Justin, they must have Taffy!” Andi cried.
Justin hurriedly helped Andi into the buggy and they headed for the Circle C. When they got there Chad was perched on his horse, Sky. “Chad what’s going on!” Justin called as fifteen or so ranch hands came galloping to Chad.
“Taffy and Panda have been stolen,” Chad answered. “You and Andi stay here and guard the place while we go find them.”
“Chad wait,” Andi called “I got a note at school that says unless they get money that I will never see Taffy again.”
“Don’t worry Andi, I'll get Taffy back for free,” Chad said. Then he left with the ranch hands galloping off behind him.
Justin and Andi guarded the barn and house until that night at around 9pm, when Chad and the others came trotting up. “Taffy!” Andi cried running toward her mare. Taffy nickered a greeting.
“Where’d you find her, Chad?” Justin asked.
“Five men were leading Taffy and Panda up near the Hollister place we caught ‘em and Sheriff Tate has them now.”
“Thanks, Chad,” Andi said. “Now us Carters can go to bed!” Everyone laughed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Encourage these young authors!