Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Amazing Grace

 By ThatOneAndiFan

By ThatOneAndiFan, based off of ‘God hath given and he hath taken away,’

“Gray, you’ll be late!” Levi Swanson yelled from the bottom of their staircase. The Carters were coming to supper at the Swanson household, and they were almost there. Grace (nicknamed Gray) made her way downstairs. She was twelve, and she had the same style as Levi’s aunt Andi when Andi was twelve. Overalls and braided hair. Gray looked almost identical to Andi.
Knock, Knock!
The Carters knocked on the door. Levi and Gray opened it. The Carters walked inside. So did Aunt Andi, Uncle Riley, Jared, Lilly and Lottie. Gray and Lottie talked about their horses, who were twin fillies.
“Sunshine is doing great, Gray! How’s Moonshine?” Lottie asked.
“She is beautiful! Guess what I did? I can use one of those weird saddles, the English, I think it’s called. I can do something called Dressage, and show jumping!” The part about the English saddle was louder so everyone could hear. “Cool! Can you teach me?” Lilly asked. Gray turned to her Papa, Levi. “Please? Supper isn’t done for another hour or so!” Levi nodded and the girls ran outside.
🌪️Following Gray🌪️
“Your saddle and saddle pad look weird!” Lilly told her. Gray saddled up Moon with her odd looking saddle and described the reins. “The reins are different from western. See this?” She held up the reins in a full circle. She then went over some fences on her horse. “How cool is that? Let’s go put Moon up.” She led the horse to the barn. A loud noise stopped her in her tracks. She let the horses loose. She looked over to see a large funnel, right in front of the twins. She dove over and pushed the girls out of the way, putting her in the way instead.
🌪️following Levi🌪️
“yeah, Gray is doing good.” Levi said. Lottie and Lilly burst in tearfully.
“Gray was riding and we put Moon up and- and she pushed us away from the tornado!” Lottie said before bursting into tears again. Levi ran to the open door and looked outside. Horses whinnied, but one cry was heard above the others.
Papa! Help!” A loud crack sounded as the tornado disintegrated. It sounded like a board breaking. It sounded final. Like life wouldn’t be the same anymore. A pang of sorrow sounded on Levi’s heart. He let his silent tears run down his cheek as Riley and Chad helped him to a chair. He tried to hide it— to be strong. But he couldn’t. When no tears came, hiccups came instead. He sniffed up his sadness— or at least it looked like.
“Let’s go find Grace.” Levi said, his voice betraying his sorrow. He stood up and sat on the remaining horses, the only saddles left was Gray’s. She had put a name tag on it, to make sure Gray didn’t lose it. A small note peeked out from her saddle.
Dear Papa,
Ever since Mama died, I’ve been scared I would. Read this when I go to join Mama.
I love you. At my funeral, sing the song Amazing Grace— the nickname you gave me.
never forget how much your Amazing Grace loves you- how God loves you even more.
Love, Amazing Grace.
Levi read the note and told the family what it said. He stopped trying to look strong and sank to the ground, crying once again.
🌪️GRACES FUNERAL🌪️
Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound!
That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost
but now I’m found was blind but now I see.
Levi sang. He knew everyone was almost as sad as he was. He knelt over and pressed a kiss on his fingers then to his late wife’s gravestone. “Take care of our little amazing Grace.”
Levi walked away, back turned to the late family’s gravestone.
Lord, help me to have courage in losing Kimberly and Grace. I love you, amen.
🌪️five years later🌪️
“Faith! Hiram! Dolly! We’ll be late for Church!” Levi yelled up the stairs. He pulled his wife, Abby into a hug and prayed. Lord, I am so glad you let Graces death bring me closer to you. You gave me Faith, Hiram, and Dolores. You gave me Abby and you gave me a stronger faith. He clutched Grace’s locket, which he had found and put it around his neck. He went nowhere without it.
“Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost but now, I’m found. Was blind, but now I see.” The congregation sang. Levi almost heard Grace singing along with them.
His amazing Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Encourage these young authors!

Amazing Grace

 By ThatOneAndiFan By ThatOneAndiFan, based off of ‘God hath given and he hath taken away,’ “Gray, you’ll be late!” Levi Swanson yelled from...