Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Marbles

 By Laya E.

“Class, pull out your workbooks and read pages 15 to 22.” Mr. Foster dictated.
Andi reached into her desk, and opened her blue workbook. Beneath the cover of rustling pages, a white paper was passed to her. Andi unfolded the note, and quickly scanned it. It was from Johnny Wilson, challenging her to a game of marbles at recess.
Andi grinned. Johnny would lose a game of marbles to even Rosa! She thought. She pulled out a sheet of paper, dipped her quill in ink, and wrote back to Johnny, passing it across the aisle to Cory.
Mr. Foster was looking at her, so Andi ducked her head and began reading the long lesson about the Tibetan Sea. After reading was writing, then history and so it went until Mr. Foster finally said, “class dismissed.”
There was a clatter and banging as the students hurried to put their books away, gather their lunch pails, and be the first one out the door. “What was that note all about?” Cory asked her as they clomped down the steps.
“Oh, Johnny challenged me to a game of marbles.” Andi replied.

Cory laughed. “Johnny’s the worst marble player in all of Fresno Valley; but I guess he just thinks he’s got a good chance of winning against you.”
Andi sat down on the bottom step and opened her tin lunch pail. She unwrapped her sandwich, and took a bite. As she ate, she watched the little kids playing in the dusty school yard.
Just then, Johnny came sauntering up to her. “You ready for the game?” He said with a smug smile.

“Sure am.” Andi replied. She winked at Cory, who grinned back. Andi flicked her shooter to the middle of the circle. Three marbles shot out and Andi collected them.
And so the game went until there were no more marbles left. Andi dumped her marbles on the hard ground and counted them. Nine! Cory gave a low whistle. “You beat him easily; Andi.” He said.
“How many marbles do ya have?” Johnny asked.

“Nine.” Andi replied with a smile.
“What? No way!” Johnny exclaimed angrily. By now, the whole school was watching. Everyone knew that Johnny hated to lose. If you won against him, you were in trouble.
Cory stepped in front of Andi. “Don’t get mad just because you lost, Johnny Wilson.” He warned.

“It’s humiliating to lose, especially to her.” Johnny said. “I’m gonna get revenge.” He roughly grabbed Cory, and shoved him aside.

Jack Goodwin stepped forward. “Johnny, quit it.”

“I’ll do what I like.” Johnny snarled back.

Don’t. Andi silently mouthed to Cory. You’ll just get beat up. I can get away.

Cory nodded, and shook his head warningly at Jack, who had picked himself out of the dust and was starting towards Johnny.
Andi quickly darted to the side, like a little trout, then dashed off to the back alleyways, Johnny Wilson in hot pursuit.
Andi knew that Johnny was getting madder by the minute. To begin with, she and Johnny had not been on good terms. Then she had beaten him at a game and proved that she was faster than him.
Andi ducked into the back of Mr. Goodwin’s Mercantile, and hid behind a wooden barrel. God, help me. She prayed. Please help Johnny Wilson to see that he shouldn’t get so mad just about losing. She recalled Matthew 5: 43,44:
‘Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thine neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;’
Andi listened carefully to make sure Johnny was gone, then crept up from her hiding spot. The best thing right now is to go home. She decided. She took the back way out of town, and began walking. Andi was so tired. Every single bone in her body was complaining, and she felt parched. Andi didn’t know how long she’d been walking in the dry California desert, but it felt like days. Maybe I should’ve waited for Justin. She thought. I’ll just lay down for a little while. She plopped down on the dirt, and lay back, staring up into the blue sky.
Andi woke to the gentle rocking of a wagon. She cracked open one eye, and looked out. Justin was in the front seat, driving the wagon with a worried expression on his face. “Justin?” She croaked. “Oh honey, you’re awake!” Justin exclaimed.

“What happened?” Andi asked.

“I was on my way to pick you up from school, but instead I found you sleeping under the blistering sun.” Justin explained. “What in tarnation were you doing?”

Andi sighed. Should I tell Justin about Johnny Wilson’s bullying? A little voice inside her whispered; that would be the right thing to do. Andi began. “Well, you see it started like this….”

The story came rushing out of Andi like a river as she told Justin what had happened. When Andi finished, Justin sighed. “Andi, you should’ve known better to play a game against Johnny when you knew you would win.”
“Well, I couldn’t help myself!” Andi protested.

Justin just shrugged. “I’ll tell you what.” He said. “I won’t mention this to anyone. You didn’t get hurt badly, just a sunburn. I won’t mention this to Mother or anyone else.”
“Oh, thank you, Justin!” Andi cried. Then she prayed: Lord, thank you for giving me an understanding brother and for keeping me safe, Amen. Praise ye the Lord. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever. Psalm 106:1 THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment

Encourage these young authors!

Andi's Barn Mystery

 by Nora H.  The latch rattled and began to rise. Andi frantically looked around for a place to hide. She was in the tool shed in the barn, ...