By Haidyn N.
Sixteen year old Andi Carter slumped over her desk. Mr. Foster glanced in her direction, but continued on. One more hour til I’m officially done with school! She sighed. During her accident, even though Andi had missed many days of school, Mr. Foster gave her the certificate of graduation. Mother, however, wanted her to finish the semester and receive her certificate like her siblings had before her.
“Mother and her traditions” Andi muttered. She focused back on her teacher.
“Please pull out your slates and copy off of the black board.”
Andi sneaked a peak at the board and smiled, Arithmetic her specialty. She reached inside her desk to grab her slate, but felt a piece of paper instead. Andi pulled the paper out and quickly looked at the note.
Andi,
After School, Come to Blakes Livery. Look for the saddle
out of place.
Andi closed the note and stuffed it inside her dress pocket. She pulled out her slate pondering this mystery. Who was this note from and what did it mean?
An hour later, Andi clattered down the schoolhouse steps. She couldn’t contain the joy she felt. “Done with school!” She shouted as she made her way towards the Livery. Andi strolled inside, the sweet smell of horses, and hay awaited her.
“Hey Andi!” Cory called. He dropped a horse’s hoof and walked over. “How was your last day?”
Andi smiled and quickly made her way to her colt’s stall. “Howdy fella! Once I was out, amazing!”
Cory grinned, knowingly. “Guess what I found inside my desk?” Andi asked, eager to figure this mystery out. “This note.” She handed it to him and started searching the Livery as he read, “Look for a saddle out of place”
Cory frowned. “Our saddles are never out of place here.”
Andi shrugged. “That’s just what the note says! It also says my name, so they must know me personally!”
“I don’t know, maybe it's someone playing a prank.” Cory questioned.
Andi sighed. Ever since the accident and Taffy’s passing, Cory was extra protective. “Then we’ll figure it out!”
Cory nodded and helped her search the stable. Finally they gave up. “Sorry Andi, I need to finish up shoeing this fella, I hope you figure it out though!”
“Thanks Cory!” She saddled Shasta and walked him out of the Livery, thinking about what the note said, “Look for the saddle out of place.”
“What could that mean Shasta?” He snorted. “I know, you’re ready for a fast ride!” Andi glanced in the bushes and noticed something dark and bulky. “Wait, a saddle out of place, out of THE place!” Andi hurried over to the bushes and pulled the saddle out. She gasped. It was a beautiful brown saddle with flower carvings on the side.
Andi found another note taped to the saddle horn.
Andi,
Enjoy this saddle for it’s your own, but for this next clue don’t go alone. Although Shasta’s beautiful and fast, take a breather before this blast. Get to your house before it's seven, and ask Melinda for a piece of Heaven!
“My own saddle?” She squealed and jumped to hug Shasta, but then realized what time it was. She glanced at the sun. “A quarter past six.” Quickly, Andi unsaddled Shasta and placed her new beautiful saddle on him. “Cory!” He peeked outside. “Would you mind keeping my old saddle safe for me?” “I need to get home quick!”
“Sure thing!” He took the saddle and Andi mounted up.
“Wait, your old saddle?”
Andi pressed her heels into Shasta, “I’ll tell you later.” Shasta took off. She finally made it home. Andi gave Shasta’s reins to Riley, their foreman and ran inside, ignoring his questioning look. She slammed the door shut, and quickly checked their grandfather clock, seven. Right on time. “Melinda! Melinda!” Andi yelled.
“Andrea Carter! What are you doing yelling at me like that? You made me poke my finger with a needle.” Melinda huffed.
“Sorry Melinda.” Andi said out of breath. “But I’m supposed to ask you for a piece of heaven?”
Melinda sighed. “Riiiight, I’ll be right back.” Melinda finally returned with a plate. “This is for you to eat,” It was a delicious plate of sugar cookies. “after you figure this out.” She said as she handed Andi another note.
Andi,
Well you are almost done, let's see if you figure out this one. I’m a beautiful spot you love to see, this is where we became friends, you and me. This is where I met your colts. Come and see us before we bolt.
She looked at Melinda who slyly smiled. Andi turned and bolted out the door. She made her way to the yearling pen. And couldn't believe her eyes. There stood a colt that looked exactly like her dear Taffy, and there was her friend, Macy Walker! Tears sprang into Andi’s eyes. “MACY!”
“ANDI! Andi raced toward her long ago friend and hugged her! Both were crying with joy, embracing one another! “Macy, how.. When.. why?”
Macy laughed, and pushed a blond strand of hair from her face. “First of all, Sunny and I wanted to see you and Shasta again.” She nodded to the two colts prancing around with each other.
Riley must have had orders to put him here. Andi mused. “And second of all, this visit has been long overdue! I’ve missed you Andi Carter!”
“I’ve missed you too!” They hugged again! “I still can’t believe you’re here!”
“I didn’t think the mystery would end this amazing, thanks for the saddle, it’s gorgeous!”
Macy giggled. “Of course, earlier I sent your Mother a letter asking if I could come, but she told me about the accident, which I’m so sorry about, and told me to come later!”
“Thanks!” Andi nodded. Macy looked toward the house. “Let’s catch-up over those delicious cookies Melinda made for us!”
Andi laughed. “That sounds great!” She heard Shasta and Sunny’s whinny. “But first, how about a race?”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Encourage these young authors!