by Sara M.
Andi, I’m a friend of Jenny’s. I need help. Please. Don't deny me this. I beg you, meet me tonight at 11, at the edge of your land, north side. By the big oak tree. Please! I need help! Don't tell anyone the contents of this note. GM.
I let the note flutter from my fingertips as a chill ran up my back. The letter Cory had just slipped onto my desk made me feel nauseous. Who in the world was GM and why did she need her help? Jenny never mentioned anyone whose name started with G or M… I bit my lip. I had till tonight to decide what to do. ***** Sure glad it's a full moon tonight. I eased the house door closed behind me. It was a half hour before 11 o’clock and the few hours I was supposed to be sleeping were long. I walked quickly, quietly to the barn and called softly to Taffy. In the dim light coming in the open barn door, I saw her raise her head and look at me. I grabbed a bridle and slipped it over her head. “Bareback tonight,” I said. “Andi?” Talk about startling someone! I nearly screamed. “Chad!” “What on earth are you doing this late in the barn?” “I needed to check Taffy,” I said, which was true; I was checking her on her…to take her out—not that I would tell Chad that. “She’s fine. Go to bed.” “Okay, I will.” Just not right now. Chad shrugged and walked away. I lingered by Taffy’s stall, waiting for Chad to shut the door behind him. Thankful that Chad hadn’t noticed the bridle on Taffy, I led her from the barn after a few minutes. Off to find out who ‘GM’ was. Apprehension filled me. Was this a good idea? I neared the place GM told me to meet her at. It was silent, lit in the moonlight. I heard a wolf howl in the distance, and shivered. I do not like this at all. Keep going? Turn back? At last, I saw a horse—or was it a pony?—by itself. I kept Taffy at a walk, ready to turn and run. A figure bolted off the ground when I neared and grasped the pony’s reins. “Who are you?” A pause. “Andi Carter?” I halted Taffy, but stayed on her back. The figure neared, and I got a good look at her. She wore trousers and a wide-brimmed hat. She pulled off the hat. I held my breath. Two things were instant to me. Her eyes—his eyes—matched a pair I knew well. Jenny Grant’s brother. How in the world was he on Circle C land when the Grants lived in Washington Territory? “I’m GM.” “How? You’re Micah Grant.” “GM, my initials backwards.” He gave a tired grin. “I need help, Andi, and from what Jenny always said, I knew I could trust you.” Suspicion filled me. I had my share of tight situations and had no desire to get into another one. But…if a friend needed help… “What’s going on?” “Jenny’s in trouble; I need your help.” My heart raced. “What do you mean?” “She’s being held by a group of horse thieves. They had us both; I escaped last night. Jenny told me a lot about you, so I knew you lived here.” His eyes turned pleading. “Can you help us?” I didn’t hesitate. “Yes. Let’s go.” I didn’t let myself think that I had no pistol or rifle, and that none of my family knew where I was. Jenny needed help, and sooner the better. Relief swept over Micah’s face. “Thank you, Andi.” He mounted his horse and turned north. “This way. It's a couple hours.” The hours hurried by, and soon, Micah motioned for me to stop. “I’m going to go forward and make sure they are still there.” Worry filled his voice. There was no doubt he cared deeply for his sister. Less than five minutes passed, and he returned, breathing hard. “They’re there. I saw Jenny.” His expression revealed nothing. I shoved down the concern inside me. “Is…is she okay?” “I don’t know.” Urgency filled me, but along with caution. I stared at the valley below us, my mind racing. We had one chance to rescue Jenny, and we could not mess it up. “Here’s what we’ll do…” Micah nodded once I explained. “It’s the best thing we got. If we don’t get her by dawn, I know they’re moving and getting on a boat today.” All the more reason to not fail. I knew the plan was plenty risky. Micah rode out first to distract them. I pulled out my pocketknife from Taffy’s saddlebags and left her untied. I crept toward the camp, paying attention to every noise Micah made. I heard two–or was it three—men going after him. Micah said there were four men, so I had to deal with one or two. I can’t do this. You have to! If you don’t, Jenny will be gone. Micah is relying on you! It was over in seconds. As soon as the one man left in camp turned his back, I raced to Jenny and ducked beside her. “Jenny.” I cut her ties, and together, we stood. Her face shone with gratitude; she opened her mouth to say something, but I quickly put my finger to my lips to hush her. We had to go. The man looked away again, and we took the chance. Together we sprinted in the woods, toward Taffy, toward safety. Never before have I mounted Taffy so quickly, pulling Jenny up with me. I kicked Taffy into a gallop. In the moonlight, far off, I saw Micah riding toward us. He had gotten the three men off his trail. I laughed aloud in joy. We made it out, with Jenny, and we were okay. “Thank you, Father,” Jenny whispered behind me. I patted her hand that wrapped around me and sighed gratefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Encourage these young authors!