By Kiara S.
“Alright, class, recess is over,” Miss Hall announced as she stood on the porch of the two-story schoolhouse. After she walked back inside, twenty children, ages ranging from five to fifteen, clattered up the porch steps.
As twelve-year-old Andrea Carter slid into her two-seater desk, Miss Hall started the history lesson. After a while, Andi started to get bored. Listening to how Isaac Newton discovered gravity was not interesting to her, so instead, she looked out the window and wished she were anywhere else.
“I wish I were at the ranch right now instead of this stuffy schoolhouse. If I didn’t have school, then I could ride forever and do whatever I wanted,” Andi thought happily.
Then reality kicked in. If she didn’t have school, her brother Chad would put her to work on the ranch. She would never get any free time if Chad were in charge.
Andi was brought out of her gloomy thoughts by a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to the seat behind her, where her friend Rachel sat.
“What?” Andi whispered so the teacher didn’t hear.
Rachel just handed her a folded white note, then turned her attention back to Miss Hall. Andi took the note and carefully unfolded it, trying to be as quiet as possible. I have something important to ask you. Meet me at the back of the mercantile after school. Xoxo.
Andi read the note again in her head, then looked around to see who had sent it. The x’s and o’s clearly meant it was a love note. But as Andi looked around, everything looked the same. Everyone was paying attention to the teacher. Well, almost everyone—Andi’s friend Cory wasn’t, but that was normal. He got put in the corner more times than she could count.
“Maybe it is from Cory,” Andi thought. Then she giggled. If it were from Cory, then he would have to like her more than a friend, and she knew that wasn’t true. She giggled again at the thought.
“What is so amusing, Andrea?” Miss Hall said, staring at her from the front of the room. The whole class was staring at her.
“Nothing, ma’am. Sorry,” Andi said, ducking her head.
“That’s alright,” Miss Hall said nicely. “Please go back to your studies, then.”
“Yes, ma’am,” Andi promised, but she knew she couldn’t until she figured out who sent the note.
*******
As soon as Miss Hall said, “Class dismissed,” Andi was out of the schoolhouse and on her way to the mercantile.
“Wait up, Andi,” Cory said, running up. “Is something wrong? You ran out of the school like your tail was on fire. Has something happened?” Cory said, concerned.
“No, Cory. I just need to get to the mercantile so I can see who sent this,” Andi said, handing him the note.
“I need to ask you something. Meet me behind the mercantile after school. Xoxo,” Cory read aloud.
“At first I thought it was from you,” Andi said after Cory stopped reading, “but if it were from you, you would have to like me more than a friend,” Andi said, giggling.
Cory just looked up and smiled. “And you don’t know who it’s from?” Cory asked, handing the note back.
“No, which is why I was running. I got to see who it is before they leave,” Andi said.
“Okay, then when you figure it out, tell me,” Cory said as he walked toward his house. “Good luck.”
“Thanks,” Andi said as she started running again. “Finally, I’m here,” Andi thought as she stood in front of the mercantile and made her way to the back. As her eyes adjusted to the dim light, she saw a figure in the shadows. “Hello, who’s there?” Andi said into the silence.
“Me,” the figure said, stepping into the light.
“Jimmy Nelson?” Andi said, surprised. This was not what she had expected.
“Yeah, it’s me,” Jimmy said. “By the look on your face, I guess you were expecting someone else.”
“Sorry,” Andi said, shaking off the surprise. “I just didn’t know you liked me like that. I mean, you’ve never even talked to me.”
“I know. I tried, but every time I saw you, I got scared, so I just never did,” Jimmy said, head down.
After an awkward silence, Jimmy said, “So now you know who it is. What do you think?”
“Umm… I’m sorry, Jimmy, but I don’t like you like that,” Andi said as nicely as possible. She didn’t want to hurt him.
“Yeah, I thought so,” Jimmy said sadly. “Besides, someone else already likes you. I’ll be fine. Thanks for telling me the truth. I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” And with that, he walked back into the shadows.
Before she knew it, Andi was alone. Andi felt horrible, but what had Jimmy said? Someone else liked her. Who?
“Andi, wake up. Andi, get up,” someone said, shaking her.
“What?” Andi said, sitting up. She was still in her bed.
“Good, you’re up,” Melinda said, getting off her bed. “It’s time for breakfast. Get dressed.”
“It was a dream,” Andi whispered to herself. It felt so real.
“Come on, hurry. We’re having pancakes,” Melinda said, leaving the room.
“Yum, pancakes,” Andi said, smacking her lips. After she got dressed, she started heading downstairs, and her dream began to disappear. But one question stayed with her all morning: who else liked her?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Encourage these young authors!