by Marlena
Seven-year-old Andrea Carter whooped with delight and urged her palomino mare Taffy faster. Her best friend Riley on his horse Midnight, galloped a hair's breath behind. “Faster Taffy Faster!” shrieked Andi, thrilled with the speed and excitement of riding. She and Riley were racing the quarter mile back to the barn and Andi was determined to win. She usually won, but Riley was a good sport about it and was always up for a rematch.
They thundered up to the barn and pulled up with Andi just ahead of Riley. “Yes!” Andi called, her heart hammering and breathless from excitement. “I won!”
“You sure did,” sighed Riley. “Taffy is getting faster by the day! Pretty quick old Midnight won’t be able to keep up! Will you, boy?” He affectedly rubbed “old” Midnight's neck.
Andi laughed and began to unsaddle Taffy. It was nearing suppertime and Riley had to go help Cook, but he stopped to help Andi lift her heavy saddle onto the saddle rack. “See you later Riley!” She called, heading to the house.
“See ya!” Riley ran lickety split to the cookhouse.
Someday Andi thought to herself, someday I’ll be able to handle my saddle all by myself. Then I can really go on rides whenever I want! Then she turned and hurried up the steps of the house, and into the kitchen, where Louisa was putting away some groceries her mother had gotten in town that morning. Andi came in just in time to see her put a big bar of chocolate in the cupboard. Andi stopped short in amazement. That was the biggest bar of chocolate she had ever seen! “Wow! What is that for Louisa?” Andi asked, her mouth watering at the sight.
“Horneando con… ¡Tu mamá quiere galletas!” (Baking with. Your Mama wants cookies!) Lousia smiled one of her rare smiles and winked at Andi. “Now hurry to supper child.” She shooed Andi out of the kitchen. Andi sat down at the table, but the roast and mashed potatoes didn’t smell as good now. Now her mind was full of chocolate…
Later that afternoon Andi was sitting beneath a tree watching Taffy graze in her favorite pasture. “Could I ask Mother for some chocolate?” Andi wondered out loud. “No, she would say no. Louisa wouldn’t give me any without Mother’s permission… But I haven’t had chocolate in ages! I want some so bad.” A plan began to form in Andi’s mind. She knew it was wrong, but that chocolate looked so delicious! “Tonight.” She whispered and shifted uneasily. Andi lay in bed that night with her clothes on. She was on top of her covers, doing her best to stay awake. She had heard Justin and Mother go to bed twenty minutes ago and was counting out fifteen more minutes for them to fall asleep. Then… Well, then she would have chocolate and nobody would know. “But God would know.” whispered her mind. “And it would be stealing. God hates thieves.”
Andi winced and rolled over, mentally blocking that voice. At supper that night she hadn’t been able to look at Justin or Mother and was nervous until she was safe in her room. Mother had asked twice if she was feeling okay. Hopefully they didn’t suspect anything!
The clock chimed eleven. Andi jumped awake at the sound. It was time to go! She slipped off the bed, opened the door and waited. Nothing. Andi gripped her shoes tighter in her left hand. Then she slowly slipped down the hall and stairs into the kitchen. The house was dark and shadowed. “Creeeeeak!” Andi jumped! “What was that?” “I’d better hurry.”
Opening the cupboard, she grabbed the bar of chocolate, and a thrill of excitement went through her. She could already taste the chocolate slipping down her throat! Grabbing a knife from a drawer, she walked to the back door and wiggled on her shoes. The door squeaked quietly, but Andi slid through and was off towards the barn. Once in an empty stall, she shut and latched the door. Then she unwrapped the end of the chocolate bar and set the knife a pinky finger away from the edge, ready to make a clean, invisible cut. “Click”
Andi’s head whipped around toward the door. The latch began to rise. Andi looked around wildly but there was nowhere to hide. The door creaked open. “Justin?!” Inwardly Andi groaned. She hadn’t even taken a bite!
“Andrea Carter.” It wasn’t an accusation. He said it as a fact. “You know you're not supposed to steal! The Bible says so.” Justin sounded tired. Andi bowed her head guiltily. “Why Andi?” Justin sounded so disappointed that Andi burst into tears.
“I'm sorry Justin! The chocolate just looked so good, and I haven't had any for so long, I just couldn’t help myself! I'll never, never do it ever again.”
Justin folded her in his strong arms and sighed. “I believe you Andi. But I need you to remember not to steal, so tomorrow you can muck out Mitch’s stalls as well as yours, and when Lousia makes the cookies, you may not have any. Do you hear me?”
Andi raised her head from her brother's damp shirt. “But Justin, mucking out all those stalls will take all afternoon! I won’t have any time to ride!”
“That's the whole point honey. Now off to bed, you have a long day tomorrow. Goodnight!”
Andi trudged back to bed, thinking about her adventure, the lost cookies and the chores in the morning. As she fell asleep, she whispered to herself, “Next time, I’ll just wait and eat the cookies.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
Encourage these young authors!